Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Little something on group-dynamics

So I was thinkng... what do you do with a group of youngsters who absulutely hate another member, who is older, who is a manager (probably the only IT person with whom I don't get on well...) and who is simply annoying... This is my second semester with this group, the guy is a newcomer. The main problem, I reckon, is that we had agreed to start at 5 pm. He didn't turn up for at least 2 weeks and when he eventually did, he started a big fuss about it: he wanted to start at 5.15 because this was the advertised time slot... (btw. I don't really understand why I was not informed about it, but that's on my boss...). So, anyway, the whole group seemed to develop this angry attitude towards him. On top of all, he's always late ... (they hate him even more :). Kind of a big issue now: the other members of the group refuse to work with him in pairs on in groups, they laugh at him when he arrives and starts to pack his things, fidding with this cell, etc.
My first idea: use the 15 minutes when he's not yet there for having a small-talk with the group.
My second idea: start 5 min earlier so that everybody will be satisfied (maybe...).
My third idea: ignore the whole issue (that would be neary imopssible).
My fourth idea: the combination of the 1st and 2nd ...
It's impressive how fast learners can improve such a massive, innate negative feeling towards another group-member. And it's spreading like a virus :) totally contagious. I think the dynamo is a very nice young 16 year-old lad ...
Any suggestions are welcome :)

No comments: