Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Introducing Quizlet.com


This site has been around for quite a while and there's a buzz about it, so let's give it a go!
First I heard about this site about a year ago and I've been using it ever since. It is perfect for vocab. learning, practicing and testing as well (!). It takes about 2 minutes to register and another 2 to create a group:)
  1. First you have to register and have to tell your students to do likewise. Last year some of my 7th graders experienced a problem: quizlet.com kicked them out because they were underaged...I don't know how it could be a problem, but from then I tell my students to cheat a little and pretend to be over 18.
  2. You have to create a group. I normally give names like 11b_2009 so that I will remember which group is which, but of course you can come up with more creative ones :)
  3. I like to set up private groups so only my students can join them. In order to do that you have to create a group with a password. You tell your students to join the group with the password and that's all; you have your virtual vocab learning class :)
  4. Then all you have to do is make different sets of words. You do that with the 'Make Flashcards' button (you cannot miss it, it's in bold). You type in the English word and the Hungarian equivalent, or with more advanced groups: a definition or a synonym. I like to make all my sets editable by the whole group, this way the students can also add items to the list and they can do that as HW (=less work for me).
  5. Now about how it works: there are 6 phases of learning, out of which only one is learning:) Firstly, you familiarise with the words, the you actually learn them, test what you have learnt and at the end you play 3 different games (scatter, space race and voice race - if you have a microphone). This is what students seem to enjoy the best :)
You see, only 5 easy and quick steps and you have a lot more exciting way of practicing vocabulary. If all this didn't make sense, there is a video tutorial thanks to tanarblog. I hope you'll enjoy using this site!

Quick side-note: I'm still sick and it doesn't seem to go away soon...I may have to stay at home all week long, which would be a pity...

No comments: