Wednesday, October 7, 2009

New teaching material arrived

Not so long ago I ordered this book from amazon. I did it so, because I like spending my freetime doing creative things such as different makeup looks :) Lucky me, the book arrived during my sick leave, so I started making friends with it instantly. Then the part of my brain, which I call 'teacherly brain', realised how nicely some bits of this book could be used during lessons. Take the 'This is who I am' chapter, for instance. It's the story of this 27-year-old girl who became a youtube sensation in a fortnight with her makeup tutorials. A real fairy tale in the 21st century. It may even be possible that many of the students know about her. And I believe using this text for practicing past simple could be much much realistic and closer to my students' (and my...) world than the stories about George Washington and Margaret Thatcher in the book. Even though I find those stories really fascinating to read. If I can make a bargain with the history/geography teachers, I might as well be able to get hold of the interactive white board and do some more fun stuff - including watching youtube videos - with the material. So I'll definitely give it a go and will share the outcome with you! In the meantime, if you have any suggestions, please leave a comment! :)

1 comment:

tempesta said...

Hello Orsi
Congrats on your blog, I was just thinking that it must be great to work with a teacher like you! One question: Have you tried preparing any CLIL lessons with the above-mentioned geography/history teachers?
I used to teach English in Hungary, now am living and teaching in Italy, and would be really interested to know if you have tried teaching CLIL stuff.